The Institute of Animal Health and Veterinary Biologicals had a modest beginning as "Mysore Serum Institute" founded by 1926 by the erstwhile Maharaja of Mysore to produce hyper-immune serum for the control of Rinderpest Disease in the state. The name of the Institute was changed from "Mysore Serum Institute" to "Institute of Animal Health and Veterinary Biologicals" in view of the multifaceted activities undertaken by the Institute in the production of various veterinary biologicals and problem-oriented research on existing, exotic and emerging diseases of livestock.

The Institute was registered as Scientific Society under the societies registration act in 1978 to give a broader perspective and autonomous status to organize and manage its diversified activities of production of biologicals and diagnostic services through a network of units in the state. This is the only state in the country to have taken this progressive step, thanks to our predicisors who had the foresightedness.